Tuesday, June 20

GOTYE's 'Like Drawing Blood' is ringing in my ears

170892018_fca756c8b7.jpg

I can't remember how I happened across GOTYE's album Like Drawing Blood exactly, but it must have been online. Can't remember the last time I walked into a retail store. The artist has released the album independently online, and although he's had some great reviews and the album has been nominated for an award by TripleJ, most of his exposure has been online to-date.

You need to know about it. If you're a fan of Lemon Jelly, BT or Thievery Corporation, this is for you. Recommended for your listening are the tracks Thanks For Your Time, a bitterly funny comment on telephone customer service, and Learnalilgivinanlovin (I think I've spelled that right) which is a mashup of Phil Collins which makes him not just listenable, but downright funky and danceable again. Almost everything on the album's a potentially successful single, in my humble opintion. GOTYE's writing, multi-musicianship, vocals and production work are top-class.

You can buy the album online from <a href="http://www.gotye.com" target="new" >www.gotye.com</a> and he has some samples there and on <a href="http://www.myspace.com/gotye" target="new">http://www.myspace.com/gotye</a>. Judging by the reviews he's getting on MySpace I think he's probably starting to make good money from track sales too. Awesome to see the artist reaping 100% of the reward.

And in case you're wondering what "GOTYE" means, the only reference I could find was the acronym "Game Of The Year Edition". You pronounce it much like "Gaultier" but I think it's going to be a much more fashionable name than that pretty soon.


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Buy content through ScooptWords