Friday, June 1

Music videos were always meant to be free

I've been watching a few music videos on my AppleTV, which basically means watching free 30 sec previews, because fewer than 1% of the videos iTunes Store offers appeal to me enough that I'd pay to download them.

All the while I'm thinking, "I'm old enough to remember when MTV first started, and back then music videos were a marketing tool for selling albums. There may not be enough money in selling albums any more to fund music videos, but that doesn't mean music videos should be considered premium content."

Creative? yes. Entertaining? often. Worth a couple of dollars for two minutes of entertainment? Almost never. Replay value? Almost zero.

But we know from history that when market barriers are removed, the market establishes the true value of content. And today the world's fourth-biggest music company, Warner Music, announced they were ready to admit that the average value of music videos is probably around $25-30 CPM - the sort of money you might be able to make by offering them for free online with some advertising support.

It's MTV all over again. Come on Apple, open up to free music videos - I won't mind if you need to serve me some interstitials in-between clips.
clipped from www.news.com.au
Madonna, Red Hot Chilli Peppers / Composite image

Free at last ... industry giant Warner Music, whose artists include the likes of Madonna and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, is putting its huge archive of music video online and making it available for free
 blog it

Buy content through ScooptWords